We aim to develop and support a more creative and collaborative mindset amongst people working in and governing the VCSE sector so that they know how to use the internet and digital technology more efficiently in order to help their beneficiaries. This should also increase their efficiency and productivity e.g. automating repetitive tasks. We are also hoping that by the end of the project they will be more able and willing to use freely available digital tools and software.
We are exploring essential issues and activities not currently supported by the major tech for good project funders.
We envisage that the objectives will impact on the VCSE Sector in the following ways:
- Developing capacity to ensure an organisation becomes ‘digital ready’ or digitally improved
- Providing or developing appropriate staff/volunteer training
- Exploring and increasing organisations’ digital footprint to include updating individual websites and engaging in routine social media campaigns
- Organising and running Exploration events or Hack Days to aid development and delivery of activity
- Reinforcing/increasing capacity/usage of current system.
- Exploring need for upgrading of internal IT systems
- Developing project / economic reasoning for (large scale) capital investment in IT
We will achieve the delivery of the Project 2020 objectives through these three themed areas:
- Tech for Good ecosystem development, including
- Net Squared Midlands meetups
- Data for Good ecosystem development, including:
- ‘Voluntary sector trends: checking the data’ event with NCVO and The Foundation for Social Improvement in Birmingham in September 2018.
- Helping to organise and deliver Open Data Camp 6 in Aberdeen in November 2018
- Involvement in the 1st National Data for Good conference in Birmingham in November 2018, working with Data Orchard (Lead partner), 360Giving, DataKind UK, NCVO, New Philanthropy Capital, Tech Trust, The Operational Research Society and The Royal Statistical Society
- VCSE sector engagement including:
See our more detailed Digital WM™: Project 2020 plan in our Resources section here