We were founder members of Birmingham’s premier one-day street event, the St Patrick’s Day Parade when it was relaunched in 1996.
We both served in a voluntary capacity on the Committee and then the Board for 13 years, seeing the Parade grow from 5,000 people in 1996 to dealing with Parade crowds of up to 135,000 people at its largest.
We stepped down from the St Patrick’s Festival organisation in 2008.
While involved with the Festival our work included:
- Operational management including events, financial and organisational management, 2000 – 2008
- Development of the business plan including sponsorship, marketing and publicity materials
- Organisation of annual (March) St Patrick’s Festival including the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, as well as other cultural events throughout the year promoting Irish culture and artistic activity
- Chairing the Heritage Lottery Funded oral history project group which included editing the book “A Great Day: celebrating St Patrick’s Day in Birmingham” and curating the accompanying exhibition
- Liaison with government organisations concerning management of visiting dignitaries, the President of Ireland, visiting ministers, parliamentary groups